The story of Cannons MSA started long ago in 1907, when 20 year old Fred Cannon opened a bicycle shop in Mitcham, Surrey called Figgs Marsh Garage. There he made and repaired bicycles. He was a brilliant engineer and entrepreneur and before long had extended his field of operations to include commercial vehicles. A Ford agency was granted to assemble the "Flat Packed" (in those days called "knock down") cars that were shipped over from America. He also sold surplus government stock.
In 1924 space became short and a move was made to Wandsworth Road SW8, where tyre and paint departments were added. Still a one man operation he ran the shop and at the same time went home to his 10 children! Some years later, his eldest son Fred, who had run his own motor spares shop in West Norwood, joined the family business.
Fred seniors son Stan joined the business in 1939 and when war was declared, his brother Maurice and his sister Lydia stood in for him. In 1946, Stan left the air force and rejoined his father, who unfortunately died in October the same year. It was a considerable blow, but a family conference decided that they all should carry on and build on the foundation established by their father.
By now they were also buying and selling cars & motorcycles and carrying out small haulage work with an old Jowett van. And it was also at this time that Cannons started to factor motor spares. In 1951 two more shops were added in Wandsworth Road.
In 1954 the parts operation was firing on all cylinders, so under the direction of Fred Cannon, a ‘rep’ was employed to promote a move into 'factoring'.
As 1960 approached, further expansion was made by purchasing the Ferodo depot in Clapham High Street that was once a music hall (one customer used to wrestle in the main hall) and leasing the Tremadoc Road site. The staff had by now increased to 12.
The Cannon principles that became the core of the company were beginning to evolve along with very long hours! However, garage and fleet owners were beating a path to their door, so the company flourished.
In 1961, after leaving the Air Force, Paul Cannon joined his uncles in the company.
The Macaulay road building was purchased in 1970 and the company consolidated on the new site in several phases. The new buildings added another dimension with tools, consumables, garage equipment, calibration, export services, paint, silencers, all having there own departments.
In 1990 Cannons began the process of obtaining BS5750, which was attained at the first attempt. In 1994, this was converted to ISO9002 and in 2003 to BS EN ISO 9001, all of which showed the industry the total commitment to quality by Cannons.
With growing problems of logistics, parking etc at Macaulay Road, it was decided to relocate and where better to go than to our roots in Mitcham. And so in April 2007, the move was made to Wates Way.
Then, in September 2013, when the lease expired, another move was made to premises just around the corner, in Wandle Way.
The endeavour has always been to provide customers with top quality products, excellent prices with a daily delivery service in most areas. Our stock of over 40,000 items is carefully selected and monitored for quality and suitability. Our aim is "The right product at the right time and at the right price".